/**/
5/10/2008

so long, so very long, sorta

In comment today, on the post from yesterday, the lovely Hyphen Mama, of Mommy Needs Five Minutes asked me how long I had 'been poetic'. About a month and a half ago, I wrote a post that told some of the story and the post is here. I was either 29 or 30 at the time. I had allowed myself to be led into a marriage that, in hindsight, should probably never have been allowed to happen. On the other hand, one of the two children from that marriage will leave her mark on the world, so there was a reason ... there was a higher purpose to that tortuous relationship. Hindsight. Anyway, like any good tortuous relationship, that one ended and began for me a time of deep personal anguish and introspection. It was then that I first wrote poetry. Some really, really bad poetry. And after I met Annie, I stopped. And I hadn't written any new stuff until I found myself writing Haiku for Fridays. I even wrote a couple of 100 Word Challenge Haiku's that made an impression. I find I like Haiku. I used to write in rhyming iambic pentameter, and I enjoyed that, but I like Haiku better. These days, it just suits me better.

That's it, in a nutshell. It's been a long time between bouts of writing poetry. But I think I'll stick with it for a while.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

"...I had allowed myself to be led into a marriage that, in hindsight, should probably never have been allowed to happen."

I had a similar experience at 17. *sigh*

I enjoy your Haiku, too. ;)

Allison said...

I've had similar bouts of time between highly creative periods. Right now I allow excuses get in the way. I mean, you'd think after 4 years of college, in large part focusing on my writing, that I'd be writing still. Other than blog posts and comments, not much :-( No, I allow the excuses to come in---too tired. no time. That sweet little 2 year old running around, not to mention the 11 year old (just a month until they're another year older!). I'm still crocheting, so I'm at least using SOME outlet for my creative side (and really, if you've had even a small glimpse at some of the stuff I've made over the last 3 years since graduating, then I'd think you'd agree there's some truth in that).

Keep writing, brother! It's good to be able to write from the good times too!!! :-)

Unknown said...

*golf clap*
Thank you! Thanks for the link back to that post AND to my place. You so eloquently describe how so many of us find our way to poetry. I like that poem. It's so authentic, from where you were, at that moment. Love always provides a wealth of poetic opportunity. Oddly enough, since I found joy in my life, I've lost the poetic touch. I'll take it. Joy or deep despair? That's not a tough one.

I just love stories where one comes out of a really bad relationship to find the love of his life.

Momisodes said...

I had no idea you stopped after you met Annie. I'm so glad that you've found your way back to poetry. I always enjoy reading it here.

You DO rock the Haiku's ;)

Old Knudsen said...

'led into a marriage' thats an interesting way to put it. Things just snowball, you don't think too much and hope for the best ignoring the warning signs, yep been there.

I do sometimes wonder if it would have been better if the children hadn't been born into that.

I pray there is a reason for everything and yes hindsight is 20/20.