/**/
1/31/2010

Sarah - Be careful

From last time ...

He taught her hand to hand combat. Marine Corps style. The kind of hand to hand that kills people. Because that's what Marines do. Sergeant Mackey made her a Marine.

And this Marine, this killing machine, was going to Vegas.


And now ...

"I'm going to fly into Vegas on Monday night. I'm sorry about the training stuff ... I'll let you know when I get back and we can pick it up again."

"That's not what's important right now, Sarah. Go take care of Jake. Do you know what happened?"

"Not really, Sarge. All I know is what Ma .. uh, Thelma Gleason, told me; and that wasn't much. She said the killers were from Vegas. I have my suspicions who they might have been - Jake had expected some trouble from Vito Giamatti's band of merry men because of something he knew too much about. I expect it's them that did this. I'll know more when I get to Vegas."

"Do you want me there?"

"No, sir. At least, I don't think so. I'd appreciate it if you could keep half an eye on Jerry and Mom. Jerry's out of school for the summer, so he doesn't need much watching right now - but Mom seems to be getting more and more forgetful and I need to know somebody is keeping an eye on her."

"What about your friend, Janet?"

"Oh, she'll be around, too. I'm going to call her in a minute. But she can only do so much - she works, you know? But, between the two of you, I think Mom will be pretty well covered - and it's not like she's lost her mind or anything - she just forgets stuff."

"Okay, Sarah. I'll keep an eye out. And Sarah? I'm sorry about Jake. I know how much he meant to you."

"Yeah. Jake was a man, Sarge. I was gonna see him, this summer. Maybe ... But now ... now I'm gonna get pulled into this thing, again. I thought I was past it. I thought I'd done enough .. at least I'd hoped that I had, but now I see ... now I know ... it ain't over. It won't be over until ... until they're all taken care of. I gotta go back, Sarge. I gotta go back and finish what I started."

"You be careful, Sarah. Don't take on more than you can handle."

"I'll be careful, Sarge. And Sarge? Thanks to you and Jake, I can handle a lot."

5 comments:

Tara R. said...

Someone is gonna kick butt and take names.

Moonrayvenne said...

The story has taken a turn I did not expect. Very surprising. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Unknown said...

Like Collette I didn't expect that sad turn.
Did he really have to die?
:(
Hope she's careful!

Jientje said...

She's a different sarah now. It 'll be interesting to see what happens next. That was a great twist in the story.

Big Mark 243 said...

Right here, I have to hope that they either don't expect Sarah to be comin' or that they underestimate her when she arrives!!