/**/
1/01/2010

Sarah - Bad People

From last time ...

"Sure. But now that you're up, get rid of that sheet. I told you, you weren't going to need it when I got back."

"Well, then, you'd better hurry up and get in this bed before I get cold."

And he thought to himself how he couldn't believe this. He thought how he'd been so wrong for so long.

And then he just stopped thinking and let instinct take over.


And now ...


Late in the afternoon of the same day, Jake looked at Sarah, who was half asleep with her head on his chest.

"I'm hungry."

"Hungry for what, Jake?"

"Food. I'm hungry for food. Besides. I think I'm sore."

"I'm not surprised. I am, too. Let's go to the Diner and get something to eat, eh? Waddya say Jake? Wanna get somethin' to eat?"

Jake closed his eyes and groaned.

"Woman, you are insatiable. Yes. Let's go to the Diner. Now."

"Okay. If you insist."

"Yes! I insist. Get dressed."

"I have to go to my room and get some clean clothes. In fact, I need a shower and so do you. I'll meet you at the front desk in 20 minutes."

"Okay. 20 minutes."

Sarah threw on Jake's shirt and headed for the door.

"Aren't you gonna get dressed?"

"Jake, my room is right next door. Don't worry, no one's gonna see me."

"Oh yeah? Where's your key?"

Sarah thought a for a second. "Damn. It's up front, isn't it?"

"Yup. You're gonna need clothes on."

Sarah sat down on the bed and started putting on her own clothes.

"Ya know, Jake. There's one thing about this whole thing that still bothers me. I still don't know why Sully tried to have me killed. And, I guess, I still don't really know why he killed The Kid."

"What. Are you having second thoughts?"

"No. No, not second thoughts. It's just that I wish I knew more about what's been goin' on, that's all. I guess I just want to be sure I'm in the right. You're teaching me how to kill someone, Jake. I want to be sure we're BOTH right."

"These are bad people, Sarah. You don't need to worry about 'right' - you just need to worry about getting a good shot."

"It's not that simple, Jake. Maybe you see it that way, but I'm not a trained killer like ..."

"Like I am? Go ahead. Say it."

"Yes. Like you are. I know you did it for your country and all, and I suppose it made it easier for you, but I'm not you, Jake. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to pull the trigger when the time comes and that scares me."

"It's never easy, Sarah. Don't ever think it's easy. Killing a man is the hardest thing you'll ever do, and if you don't pull the trigger ... well, if you don't pull the trigger the only person that's ever going to know is you. It's up to you. It's all up to you. I'm glad you're scared. If you weren't scared, I'd walk away right this minute. You're not a killer. But you have a job to do, just like I did. And for pretty much the same reasons I had. You know why I became a sniper? My best buddy was captured by the Japanese on Guadalcanal. They tortured him, mutilated him and then they beheaded him. After that, they tied his body to a tree where we could find it when we came through on patrol. I volunteered for sniper school the next day. I killed for revenge, Sarah. Every shot I took - I could see, in my mind, what I saw that day. Revenge. You saw your friend murdered. They tried to do the same to you and your family. They would have - and they wouldn't even have given it a second thought. No - these are bad people, Sarah. Bad people. Now go get your clothes. I'm still hungry."

8 comments:

Nan Sheppard said...

Glad Sarah and Jake are back, I was missing them!

Mrs F with 4 said...

I missed them too! It was worth waiting for, though.

Moonrayvenne said...

Always worth the wait!

Emily/Randomability said...

I know I haven't been commenting much on the Sarah series, nut I am LOVING it!!

Tara R. said...

Are you foreshadowing another freaky twist? You really know how to pull your readers into a story.

Joyce-Anne said...

Sarah is worth the wait. I'm enjoying this story very much.

Unknown said...

Nan: Yes, they're back. And things are going to start moving quickly now.

Mrs F with 4: Thank you, Beccy. I'm so glad you think so.

Collette: Thank you, ma'am.

Emily: I LOVE it when people tell me that. It's very encouraging.

Tara R: In that case, be sure to read tomorrow.

Joyce-Anne: Thank you, Joyce-Anne. I'm enjoying writing it, as well.

Big Mark 243 said...

Uh, not to be a jerk or anything, but the bedroom scene doesn't sit right. Why would Jake groan about Sarah being insatiable when they have agreed that it was time for breakfast?

Sore or whatever, wouldn't they have simply agreed and began a conversation?

Also, I don't think that I had Sarah in my mind as saying 'ya' for 'you'. 'clink,clink' (that is my two cents!)