/**/
11/20/2010

Sarah - Nimski Dies

From last time ...

"Okay. I tell him right away. I can call from from a gas station or something - but we better get back and start getting things ready for him if they're gonna take our stuff in for us."

"Well, don't sit there yackin', Mackey. Put some giddyup in this thing."

"Aye, aye, Ma'am."


And now ...

"Mackey, I think we've got a problem here. It doesn't look like this guy is gonna show up."

"It's only just past 10, Sarah. Give it a chance. He'll be here."

"I hope so, Mackey. You got a visual on Two Feathers?"

Mackey swung around so he could see across the vacant lot to the building where Two Feathers stood watch, covering their rear and flank. Guarding their exits.

"Yeah. I got him. He's doin' his job."

"He's a good kid. When this is all over, we gotta make sure we do something nice for him. He's the reason this has all worked out so well for all these years."

Mackey gave her a wry look.

"Okay, he's PART of the reason. Sheesh. I had no idea you were so sensitive."

"I'm not. It's just that it would be nice to feel appreciated once in a while."

"Appreciated? You want to feel ... wait a minute ... there's somebody out in front of the tavern ... it's him. It's him and there has to be a dozen kids out there, too. What the hell is goin' on?"

"I don't know. Where did they come from? There weren't there a minute ago."

"Take a look in your scope, Mackey. It's a party. See the little party hats?"

"Great. Now what?"

"We wait. We see what happens. Maybe the kids are going home now. After all, it is late. Let's just wait a few minutes and see ...."

Sarah and Mackey lay on the roof, she behind her weapon, he behind his scope, waiting for some sign as to what was going on.

"I see Mothers."

"What?"

"Coming down the street. Mothers. Their coming to pick up their kids, I think."

Sarah swung her rifle over to where she could pick up what Mackey was seeing in his scope.

"Yeah. I think you're right, Mackey. Okay. Keep your eye on Nimski. Don't lose track of him. I gotta wipe some of this sweat out of my eyes."

"Okay. I got him. Oh shit. He just moved out of sight. He's in that vacant lot next to the tavern."

"Crap. What's he doin'?"

"I dunno. I can't see him. There's a tree next to the building. I can see the top of it. Maybe he's taking a leak."

Sarah got back on her rifle scope, looking toward the tavern front, searching for sign of her target.

"There he is, Mackey. I think you're right. He did that right in front of those kids. What a pig."

"Well ... there's only two - no, three ... kids left. And there's another couple of women crossing the street. maybe that'll be all of them."

"Okay, Mackey. I got him ... call the wind ... as soon as those kids are clear I'll take the shot."

"Okay. Down one click. One click left ... no, two clicks left ... you're good to go. The last kid is going across the street with his Mum. Anytime ... breeze is holding."

The rifle Sarah held made a coughing sound. Mackey saw the target grab his chest and blood ran between his fingers as he slowly sank to his knees and died.

The woman who had crossed the street, screamed.

"Out. Let's get out!! Go! Go!"

Mackey signaled to Two Feathers to cover them. They quickly packed their weapons, then, keeping low, they ran to the trapdoor in the roof. They opened it, and dropped their gear down and then swung themselves down off the roof and into the apartment. They exited by the back door, threw their gear in the truck, and were gone.

Two Feathers drove the sedan while Sarah and Mackey sat in the back, brooding.

"Mackey, I know we've been avoiding them while they work. I know it's dangerous for us if we go after them then. But the next one - the last one? We'll take him on his run. I don't ever want kids to see this happen again."

"Okay, Sarah. It's your show. And there's only one more. You're right. We'll just have to find a way to make sure they aren't waiting for us."

"Billy?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Billy, you're going to have to set up the shot for next year yourself. It's the last one - and we can't take any chances. You're the guy we trust - it has to be you that sets it up, okay?"

"Sure, Sarah. You're the boss. But I have an idea if you want the advice of a lowly Indian."

"Speak, red man."

"Alright. I deserved that. What we do is get him on his way. Don't wait 'til he's at a stop - get him while he's on his WAY to a stop. They can't possibly set up for us. I mean, they can't be EVERYWHERE, can they?"

"Good thinking, Billy. I like it. Good ... good ... okay, let's get Mackey home. I'm sure Ma's worried about where he is by now, and besides ... I think it's past his bedtime."

And Billy drove. And Mackey gently snored.

3 comments:

Tara R. said...

Wow... bold move with this one. It's coming down to the wire.

Grandmother Mary said...

She's a cool character, nuanced even!

Big Mark 243 said...

The Indian is right... getting the cat on the way THERE to his next round should give them an edge.

Sarah runs a tight ship.