/**/
8/07/2010

Sarah - Send them all

From last time ...

He sat there waiting until Pablo's guy got in the car and drove it away from all the noise and confusion and he could finally think.


I have got to figure this out, and fast. I can't lose men like this. I have GOT to figure this out.

And now ...

"The Sheriff's investigators are gonna be able to follow these tracks, you know?"

"We'll just have to leave a trail for them until we get to the road."

Two Feathers perked up at the conversation in the front of the Jeep.

"Which way do we want to go when we get to the road?"

"South. But you know that. Why?"

"Because, Sarah, if we come off this soft sand and turn North, we'll have to cross the road and leave a clear trail of dust and sand showing the direction we took. So we go that way for a short time, long enough to shake the dust and dirt off the tires, and then carefully turn around and go back the other way. They'll never know."

"Now that's good Billy. But why won't they know that?"

"Those are all white men. They've never learned how to live out here - we've been running from those boys for years and they just don't learn. You could paint a trail for them and they wouldn't be able to follow it."

"Okay. Do that, Mackey, and head for my place."

"I'd like to stop at the diner."

"And leave the Jeep parked in the lot with all that stuff back there? I don't think so. You'll have to wait to see Ma until after we debrief ... at MY place."

"Okay, Sarah, but let's debrief on the way, okay?"

"No. The mission isn't over until we unload. Debriefing on the way means we take our attention away from our surroundings - you know better than that, Mackey."

"Alright, Sarah. You're right. After we get back then."

And they rode on in silence.

Later

"Where are you going, Mackey?"

"We're done, right? I wanna go see Ma."

"Well, wait a minute, There's one more thing we have to discuss."

"What's that?"

"I think we need to do something a bit different with the bullets."

"Do you have something in mind?"

"Yeah, I do. I'm worried they'll be too alert next time. I worried they might set an ambush next time. I think sending in a bullet is going to be asking for trouble, next time."

"Well, what do you want to do?"

"I want to send ALL the bullets in - paint on all the names that are left and send the bullets in all at once."

"Yeah, that's a good idea. He won't know who's next. He won't have any idea how to stop us - unless he sends them all back to Mexico."

"He won't do that. In fact, I'm willing to bet he never tells them anything about it at all. Maybe when we get down to one or two targets, but not now. Not yet. Billy?"

"Yeah?"

"Your boys are going to have to build schedules for all of 'em. Can they do that in a year?"

"Yes. I think so. I'm sure of it."

"Good. Let's do it then. Mackey. You go see your girlfriend. And give her my love. I have some painting to do."

1 comments:

Tara R. said...

Nice twist to the story. Send 'em all in...