/**/
1/23/2011

Sarah - Definitely Not

From last time ...

"Well, comb your hair, put on some lipstick, you'll look just fine."

"My hair IS combed. And I don't wear lipstick and you know it. Drive, Indian, before I scalp your ass."

"Yes, Ma'am. Anything you say, Ma'am. Speedily, Ma'am?"

Sarah laughed again. "Yes, Billy. Speedily."


And now ...

She leaned her head against the window of the plane, lost in thought and longing. She thought of the Kid, his life ended too soon, the promise of 'them' unfulfilled. She thought about Jake and all that they had done together. She ached for Jake.
Ached in sorrow.
Ached in unfulfilled physical need.

This is silly. I could have any man I wanted, so why am I stuck in this celibacy, like a Nun? She raised her hand and pressed the button for the Stewardess.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"May I have a coffee, please?"

"Certainly, ma'am. You'll have to hurry, though. We're already in the pattern for San Francisco."

"I will. Promise."

She remembered serving coffee to The Kid on that trip to Vegas, all those years ago. A big old mug, not a little plastic thing, like now. She remembered the look of his hair. She remembered the time spent in the cargo hold at the back of the plane. She remembered how he couldn't stand hair. She remembered ... crap. I'd better cut this out or I'm liable to jump the first healthy young male I see ... drag his ass back to the lavatory and lock that fucker in.

Sarah giggled to herself.

If I wasn't so horny, that would have been funny. Sarah squirmed a bit in her seat. This is definitely not menopause.

"Ma'am? Ma'am? Your coffee."

"Oh. I'm sorry. I guess I'm just a bit distracted. Thank you."

Sarah sipped at her coffee. At least it's still pretty good stuff.

"I'm sorry. Did you say something, Ma'am?"

"Did I? Oh. Yes. Good coffee."

"Yes, Ma'am. Is there anything else I can get you before we land?"

"Not unless you have a spare, half naked galley slave back there."

"Sorry?"

"Nothing. I'm just having a bad day, is all."

The Stewardess looked at Sarah for a moment, then reached into a pocket in the apron she wore and produced a small bottle, twisted off the lid, and poured the contents into her coffee.

"There, that ought to help, Ma'am."

Sarah took another sip of her coffee, now strongly tasting of scotch.

"MMMMMmmmm. Yes. That will help nicely, thank you."

Sarah settled back into her seat and let the warm glow of the alcohol slowly seep through her chest and into her stomach.

She had no idea that this would be the last plane ride for a long time.

3 comments:

Nan Sheppard said...

Aaaargh, what, you're going to leave us with a cliff hanger for a whole WEEK?

My word verification is 'angsp'. Like the angst of having to wait to find out... but waspy.

Tara R. said...

You are so good at drawing out the story.

Big Mark 243 said...

Your story featuring Sarah immediately called the SFC to mind, and that may have been before she returned to my life! But I really personally identify with this chapter... going to take care of some life-altering business hung up thinking about getting laid... man!

I am going to assume that this means you are not still snowed in... I don't think I could have hung in another snow and cold winter this season... it has be VERY tame here in Omaha compared to the winter being had in the Great Lakes states...