/**/
6/27/2010

Sarah - Sacrificial Lamb

From last time ...

"I just wanted to get one more good whiff of this MAN over here before I left."
Ma got up and looked longingly at Mackey. Mackey slumped down in his seat, again.
"See ya later, Mackey. Sarah. Billy."
She turned and left, slowly letting a long exhale out as she walked away.

And now ...

"Oh Mackey, you're in for it now."

"I know, Sarah. Don't remind me."

"Leave your love life alone for now Mackey, we gotta figure the rest of this thing out. If we don't find a way to convince Flores there's another gang working protection out here, then as quick as we take him out there'll be someone else out here to take his place. We need to be able to convince him the Sheriff's guys are workin' it, so he'll go back to Giamatti and tell him to scratch Ma off the list."

Two Feathers looked up from his coffee.

"Are you sure they'd back off just because there's somebody else collectin' money from Ma?'

"I think so. Especially if they think it's the Sheriff's group. Giamatti has spent a long time keeping a very low profile, and I'm sure he doesn't want to go up against the law - even though the Law might be corrupt."

Mackey sat up in his seat, at the moment, not looking quite as glum as he had been.

"I think I have an idea. Doesn't Maria drive that old car of yours?"

"Yeah. She does. Why?"

"Do you think you could persuade her to let us use it for a day of two? We could paint it up to look like a Sheriff's Cruiser, wait until we see them comin' up the road, stage a little "encounter" they'll see from a distance and they'll turn around and go back the way they came convinced they saw Sheriff's Deputies hittin' the place."

"I dunno, Mackey. You've got the right idea but I think they need to talk to Ma. She has to tell them what's goin' on. So maybe we let them see the car drive away about the same time as that little outbuilding in back blows sky high. She wants to get rid of it anyway."

Two Feathers took a sip of his coffee, a pensive look on his face.

"What would you need that stuff from the Res for then?"

"I wasn't sure at first, but I think I know now. Ma's gonna have to put on a bit of a show, but I think she'll be able to do it. She'll do anything if the end result is a promise she'll be able to get Mackey into bed."

Mackey looked up, startled.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Nah. You're right, Mackey. I would never throw you to the wolves. I'll just tell her it's for her own good. Does that work for you, Mackey?"

Mackey gave her a long dirty look as he buried his face in his mug of coffee.

"Don't you dare, Sarah. She'd eat me alive."

"I know, Mackey. I know. But that's the only carrot I can hold out in front of her that I KNOW will get me the result I want."

Sarah giggled a bit.

"Besides, you might enjoy it."

"That, Sarah, is exactly what I'm afraid of."

5 comments:

Tara R. said...

An assassin and a matchmaker, Sarah is a well rounded woman.

Grandmother Mary said...

I liked when Sarah said "I wasn't sure at first, but I think I know now." to Two Feathers. Mirrors your own process. I also like that she's a complex character well portrayed.

HalfAsstic.com said...

Way to reel me in! I just started reading you and now I'm hooked!
Can't wait to see what happens next and get to know these characters!

Joyce-Anne said...

Mackey is definitely doomed. Fortunately, he'll probably end up liking it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.