/**/
7/10/2010

Sarah - Exposed Shot - Part 1

From last time ...

Sarah giggled a bit.
"Besides, you might enjoy it."
"That, Sarah, is exactly what I'm afraid of."


And now ...

"I really don't like this shot, Sarah. We're too exposed."

"Mackey, we've been over this. If we don't take this shot we won't get another one for weeks, and I can't wait that long. Besides ... I sent the bullet in this morning, so we really don't have a choice."

"Oh, GREAT!! You really like taking chances, don't you?"

Dammit, Mackey! I ought to tell you to take a hike. You're starting to piss me off and I don't need the stress ... but I'm not going to say that to you because I need a spotter and you're the best there is right now and I don't have the time to train somebody up.

"What are you worried about, Mackey? We've practiced this shot for a week. I've hit the target dead center with every shot I've taken - in fact, the practice shots have been to a target half the size of Flores. So what is bugging you?"

"We're exposed. Okay, so we're camouflaged and they can't see us, but we can't move without giving our position away. And you can't use the silencer at this distance. I know there's going to be all this distraction and other stuff going on - I know we hope they just jump in their car and take off - but what if they don't?"

"You love that old woman, don't you?"

"Leave Thelma out of this."

"Thelma? THELMA? When did you start calling her Thelma instead of Ma? Jesus Christ, Mackey!! You weren't supposed to fall in love with her. You were just supposed to help get her through that shit with Flores. Now you're becoming a cautious old man and I need a fucking Marine here!! Get with it, Sergeant!!"

"You're right, Sarah. You're right. Don't worry, okay? I got it covered. I'm just nervous, I guess."

"Nervous? Mackey, you've done this all your life. What the hell are you nervous about?"

"I dunno. It's different, now. I keep thinking about Thelma ... I've never been in love with a woman before."

"Well, if you don't get your shit together, you're not going to be in love very long. You're going to get us killed."

"Don't worry. Like you said ... I've been doing this all my life."

"Good. Now keep your eyes open. They should be comin' down the road any minute. Can you see Billy?"

"Yeah. He's back there watchin' the back door."

"You'd better signal him to wire up the charges. Like I said, they'll be comin' any minute."

"Right."

Mackey raised up a little and flashed a hand signal to Two Feathers that told him it was time to get the charges wired up and ready to set off as soon as Sarah took her shot. The small charges would disguise the location her shot came from. The big charges would cause enough noise and confusion that the only choice that the muscle with Flores could make would be to get in their car and run.

The little leather shop was out in the middle of nowhere. No hills. No gullies. Just flat desert with cactus and scrub. She didn't like the shot any more than Mackey did - but she wasn't going to let HIM know that. Old fucker .. gonna get us killed.

2 comments:

HalfAsstic.com said...

OK, Lou! You're reeling me in here. I know I need to go back and read from the beginning, I just haven't found time yet! But I fully intend to!
I AM riveted, though.

Big Mark 243 said...

This was a very tense episode. A lot of emotion coming to the surface and like Sarah says, it is emotion that can get someone killed at a time like this!

Thelma... man, Mackey has it bad, doesn't he?