/**/
9/05/2013

100 Word Challenge - Road




What follows is offered in response to Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge. The challenge, this week, is "Road".

100 Word Challenge


Holmes & Watson


"Watson, look at that man and tell me what you see."

"I say, Holmes, not again."

"Watson!  Humour me."

"Oh, well, if I must ... he's homeless, sleeping on a park bench, under a copy of The Times".

"My dear Watson, you still don't SEE.  Notice the shabby clothes, the obvious absolute poverty, yet hygiene is apparent, as is intelligence."

"Intelligence?  How can you possibly ..."

"He reads The Times.  The corner of each page is smudged, Watson.  No stupid man reads The Times."

"I say ..."

"This man represents the Road Not Taken, Watson, whereas I, Sir, am the Road Less Traveled."



Ndinombethe.

Sometimes I completely surprise myself.  This piece started as an idea wrapped around the "road not taken" and the "road less traveled".  Initially my thought was of parents discussing their children - but the "road not taken", in regard to a child, seemed a rather harsh judgment by loving parents.  Suddenly "Watson!!" popped into my mind and I recorded the conversation between the superbly arrogant Holmes and the humble and oft humiliated Watson.  I hope you had as much fun reading it as I had writing it.

3 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

It is worthy of a story all its own... delightful scene...

Velvet Verbosity said...

Ah, well done. :)

Tara R. said...

This was fun to read, well done!