/**/
7/20/2013

About Art


As an artist, I am interested in the history of Art, and I have a small collection of books on Art and Art History.  Knowing all this stuff doesn't make me a better artist, it just helps me connect with and understand the Art of those who have come before.

There's a discussion that comes to the fore in one of my books about Art History - it is, in fact, a textbook from some time ago.  In it, the idea is proposed that the difference between Art and Craft is originality.

Not to get into a monolog about the differences and the similarities - but I would offer up a question:  If I paint 16 portraits that all look alike, are they Art, or Craft?

And if I create an highly original photograph and then print it 16 times, are they Art or Craft?

In many ways it's just a question of semantics and it has little to do with one's worth as an artist - except that those of us whose Art includes photography have a difficult time, at times, convincing consumers of Art that photographs ARE Art.

And, by the way, they are.

Ndinombethe.


1 comments:

Tara R. said...

Since you enjoyed "Lamb," I will recommend "Sacre Bleu," also by Moore. It's a lot of art history, little bit mystery, little bit love story.