/**/
5/26/2012

Memories of ....


When I was a little boy, back when we lived with my Grandparents on the Southwest side of Chicago, Memorial Day was always on May 31st, no matter what day of the week that turned out to be.  And Memorial Day meant a trip to Mount Auburn Cemetery out in the suburbs.

My aunt was buried there.  In 1932, when she was 10 years old, she been given 10 cents to go get something or other at the store and she was struck and killed by a taxicab at the corner of Ogden & Keeler.  Our stillborn daughter is buried at her feet.  Sarah Katherine.  Born to heaven, Dec. 10th, 1980.

Anyway, I remember the heavy watering can I always had to carry from the spigot down the road to the grave, where my Grandmother and Grandfather would water the freshly planted flowers they'd brought for her grave.

I know now what they felt.  Lost children always leave a hole that never fills in.

Margaret Lohman.(aunt)  Sarah Katherine Lohman.(daughter)  Rose Lohman.(grandmother)  Louis Henry Lohman.(grandfather) 

They all rest there now.

Ndinombethe.  As I go, I am wearing you.

5 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

As sad as the story is, I do love the image of your sweet, little-boy self lugging that watering can. Hugs to you, my friend.

Big Mark 243 said...

My thoughts are with you, Lou.

Tara R. said...

Ndinombethe my friend.

PurpleMoose said...

blessings, Lou

Nan Sheppard said...

((HUGS))