/**/
8/25/2011

Landscape Photography and Scale


One of the easy things to do when taking pictures of really big holes in the ground, is to forget to provide a foreground element (or elements) in the picture that offer scale to the shot.

Or, alternatively, one could offer two shots - one that shows the WHOLE scene, and a second shot of the 'interesting element'.

Examples ....



The above is an example of a picture of a tree with the Grand Canyon in the background.
Well, actually, it's the Grand Canyon with a foreground tree for scale. If you click into the picture TWICE, and really run this pic up big, you'll begin to get the idea of the shot. It really needs to be a 16x20 print.

Below are two pictures - the first is the whole scene, for scale ...



And then the 'element shot'.



When you want to show off landscape shots, don't forget to include the elements that offer scale. They make your work more interesting.

Ndinombethe.



8 comments:

Jientje said...

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time I make a landscape shot, I sometimes forget!

Big Mark 243 said...

If I had to imagine what the Big West looked like, I am sure that it would include images like your photos...

Grandmother Mary said...

I blew them up- awesome!

Unknown said...

Great advice : ) I always forget to pull back!

Tara R. said...

Absolutely stunning vistas. I got a little verklempt looking at these, I can't imagine seeing the canyon up close and personal.

Talina said...

Dude, I suck a taking photos :(

loraine said...

awesome! I really want to go there someday.

Nan Sheppard said...

Wow...and WOW! I have always wanted to go there. One day...