/**/
7/28/2011

100 Word Challenge - Myth


What follows is in response to the 100 Word Challenge, authored by the legendary Velvet Verbosity. The word this week is "Myth".


100 Word Challenge


"But, it's 1902, Berlinge. Such things don't happen. There ARE no new animals on Earth."

The two men sat at the edge of their camp, peering into the growing darkness, amazed at what they had just seen. Captain Berlinge, Dr. Engelend, and a few Ashtari porters had camped for the night on a plateau halfway up the mountain.

"You must believe your eyes, no? I have heard the natives speak, Doctor Engelend, of these man sized apes who kidnap and kill the aged, the young, the infirm. I had always thought them myth. It's obvious now. Mountain Gorillas are real."


Ndinombethe.

10 comments:

Nan Sheppard said...

And then there's 'Myth' as in 'I myth being able to use my lypth properly'... How is the tooth? ("the toooooth... remember the tooooth" says the part of my brain that wants to read 'Dune' again)

Okay, okay, I'm going. Back to reading the entire bloody UK Highway Code so I can do my UK Drivers Licence Theory Test on Monday. Really. What a lot of rules there are!

Tara R. said...

I like this one very much. How amazing would it be to be around when a new species is finally verified.

Anonymous said...

The subject matter is majorly cool but I dig the way you used the prompt.

Myth instead of a myth or like a myth.

It makes the other 90 something words stand out.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Delightful as always! I truly believe if you can dream or imagine something it must be so. (Hugs)Indigo

Big Mark 243 said...

This is one I would love to see you write a story on. It smells like the early 1900's in at the foot of a mountain in Africa...

Deana said...

Very good! How exciting and suspenseful.

PattiKen said...

You've captured the awe and excitement. You could have some fun turning this into a fact-based science fiction story.

Carrie said...

I love how the characters names play on the names of countries who were involved in conquest and colonizing the world.

What it must have been like to live in those times, when every day could bring a new discovery.

Fran said...

I felt myself transported, sitting with the adventurers, unsure of what we've seen. Nice use of the prompt!

VV said...

Delightful.