/**/
5/12/2011

100 Word Challenge - Forgotten


What follows is in response to the 100 Word Challenge, authored by the (this is too easy) memorable (the other choice was "hazily recollected") Velvet Verbosity. The word this week is "Forgotten".

100 Word Challenge


FARMER, part 3.


They rode across the prairie in their buckboard, side by side, silent but for the furtive glances toward each other, which spoke volumes.

They'd married the day before. They'd spent the night in separate rooms. They'd consummate their marriage 'at the farm'.

Each mile they rode made him more and more apprehensive.

His fields, now planted in corn, lay on either side of the road, the corn so tall it was like being in a tunnel.

Suddenly, they drove into the dooryard. She reached and pulled back the reins.

"My God, it's beautiful."

In that moment, his fears were forgotten.


Ndinombethe.

UPDATE: The "Word" is, actually, "Forgetting" - not as it says above, "Forgotten". That said, the piece stands - it is, after, a 'prompt' - an idea - something to bend your mind in a direction - there is no requirement to actually USE the Word - just to let it inspire you. And I have been inspired.

6 comments:

Tara R. said...

Oh my... that last line got me all verklempt. Wonderful emotion in this piece.

Unknown said...

How sweet... reminds me of Little House on the Prairie:-)

Unknown said...

Your words are powerfully strung together.

Unknown said...

How sweet... still... LOL. I commented once before but due to the blogger issues it was gone so I'm leaving another:-)

Lance said...

blogger must have eaten my original comment.

Really touching 100 words.

VV said...

I think this series is your best yet.