/**/
2/16/2009

Bloggers well met - Part Deux

I don't mean to brag - but look who I spent Friday evening with:



YES! Maggie from Maggie's Mind. And her Dad, Bill:



I'm not sure what he thought when he sat down with us ('us' being SWMBO, #3 Son and me) but he soon warmed to the group and joined in the conversation. A nice man. He MUST be - after all, he's Maggie's Dad, and she is SO great, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree - so it just makes sense that he is just as nice a man, as his daughter is, a woman.

We had a warm and friendly evening of brilliant conversation and good food - of which there was a LOT. Of both.

The reason the #3 Son was there was the program that Maggie has come to Chicago to interview for - JET; The Japanese/English Teacher exchange, run by the Japanese government. Given that #3 is going to major in Japanese in college, I thought that the opportunity to speak to Maggie would be of value to him. As it turned out, he was animated and inquisitive and she gave him some valuable insights into her experience in Japan. I only wonder who it was that stuck a quarter in his ear.

And of course - there were hugs. Many hugs. Maggie had a list of people for whom she was required to give me hugs for. Which was cool. Have I EVER mentioned that I LOVE HUGS? I don't recall. Maggie, by the way, is a GREAT hugger.

BTW, Bill and I shook hands. Just thought you ought to know that.

I still don't want to brag, but ...

The very next day, I had lunch at Merle's Bar-B-Que in Evanston, Illinois with the two gorgeous ladies you see sitting with the fat old man in the booth below.

I have no idea who that fat guy is. Ahem.



As animated and interesting as the conversation was the evening before, the conversation at Merle's with Cat (Catherine), of Wait.What?, and Linda, who is Employee No. 3699 of The Random Memorandum, was not one to be left in the dust. We sat and talked and ate for two solid hours and enjoyed each other's company immensely. And, of course, there were hugs. Great hugs. Have I mentioned I LOVE hugs? Well, I do. And I did.

Maggie, and Linda and Catherine all in the span of less than 24 hours.

I am truly blessed.

Ndinombethe.

24 comments:

Jientje said...

You're such a lucky guy! But I'm sure you already know that! And yes, you did mention once or twice how you love to be hugged! Big Hug, have a great day!

Shadow said...

this is still super cool, meeting all your blog buddies!

Myst_72 said...

Looking very well hugged in that photo Lou!

I've only met one of my blog buddies so far - but it has been definitely worth it :)

G
xx

Theresa said...

Really lucky and blessed

Ndinombethe said...

You're on a roll - that's 7 bloggers in a month is it?

Hope all's well Lou!

moneythoughts said...

Evanston, huh. My favorite place in Chicagoland is just a bit past Evanston in Willmette. The Original Pancake House on Green Bay is an old favorite of mine. Perhaps some day we will meet up there. It has been a few years since I have been to the Chicago Art Institute. Loved the pictures, and who wouldn't want a hug from those three ladies.

Rebecca said...

I agree with all you said: Maggie IS GREAT. And she IS a great hugger. :)

Eric S. said...

Lucky man you are Lou. I envy your opportunities to meet so many blogging buddies. Some day, I hope to meet a few myself.

Anonymous said...

And she hugged you, for me, right? Because I told her to give you a big one just FROM me!

Loved meeting her, look forward to meeting you (in July, perhaps?)

Honeybell said...

That's it. I'm coming north.

When it gets warmer up there, that is.

Expat No. 3699 said...

It was great seeing you again Lou. It was also fantastic to meet Cat. I will gladly tag along on any future bloggy meet ups!

Wait. What? said...

Lou it was such a wonderful lunch and that you brought along Linda was a special treat as well for me.

Thanks so much for thinking this up and I second Linda in that - I would gladly come along to meet up with you and others!

That pancake house is to die for by the way - but the line is usually out the door!

Cat

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

You are making the rounds! Congrats on all the hanging out with the troops. I think you'll certainly have to go to the convention now. You'll have droves wanting to sit at your table.

Joyce-Anne said...

I know a good time was had by all. Very cool indeed.

Suzanne said...

Very cool! Hugs are good, lots of hugs are great.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. It's quite a surreal experience, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Who needs BlogHer? All we need is LOU.

So great that you're meeting all these wonderful people. Just that much better that they're good huggers!

Patsy said...

The offer will always be standing for you to drop by when you are down Texas way.

I'm a pretty good hugger myself. It comes from being raised in the South where we'll give you a big hug and a "bless your heart" at the same time.

Unknown said...

Jientje: Thank you for the hug.

Shadow: Yes, it is just that. Super cool.

Myst_72: Yes I was well hugged.

Theresa: Yes, I am. Thank you, Theresa.

Tash: Yes. 7 in a month and 8 all together.

Moneythoughts: I think meeting up there is a great idea.

Rebecca: Thank you, Reba. She IS great.

Eric S: Yes, and I wish you the same sort of luck.

Secret Agent Mama: Yes. She hugged me for you - in fact, she had a list!!

Honeybell: We're waitin'.

Employee: I'm so glad. It was great seeing you, again, as well.

Cat: We can start having our own little mini conventions.

AFF: I plan to be at blogHer.

Joyce-Anne: Yes, ma'am. A good time was had by all.

Suzanne: I LOVE hugs.

abritdifferent: Surreal? Is that two hours goes by so fast it makes your head spin, surreal? Yes.

Hyphen Mama: Yeah. The hugs are great!

Patsy: Thank you, ma'am. I'll be sure to take you up on that next time I get down that way.

Anonymous said...

You totally make me chuckle, Lou!

Holly said...

So cool! There seem to be so many Chicago-area bloggers.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Sound like an awesome gathering of friends dear one! (Hugs)Indigo

Momisodes said...

I've lived down south, on the west coast, and now the east coast. CLEARLY, I need to trek to the mid-west.

Looks like you had a wonderful time with some amazing people :)

I'm guessing you give great hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm finally commenting. :) Again, much, much fun, Lou. It's really awesome how many bloggers you've been getting to meet in such a short span, isn't it? You rock.