/**/
2/23/2008

Part of being me

Part of the fun of being me is magazines. You see, I get a jones for books. I always have. But in recent years, as the books began to absorb WAY too much of the available real estate in the house, Annie and I compromised - a bit. Although I still get to buy books, I do so much more rarely. Instead, I get MAGAZINES!! Another part of the fun of being me is a diversified range of interests. I'm a photographer. Books and magazines. I sketch and draw. Books, mostly. I paint. Books and magazines. And supplies. You can never have too many supplies. I ride motorcycle. Magazines. I do computers. Books and magazines. I am a Linux evangelist. Magazines. And just so you don't think it's ALL ABOUT ME - Annie joneses for LUGGAGE. Which, fortunately, she only satisfies rarely. Because that shit gets REALLY expensive.

Anyway, today I bought a copy of one of my favorite magazines. It's the February issue of 'Leisure Painter', a thin little slick from England which I really, really like. LP and 'International Artist' (which I subscribe to) are the only two art magazines that really speak to me. And it was lucky that I found an unsold copy of LP at Barnes & Noble. Anyway, this month's magazine has an article by an English artist named Tony Paul that shows you how to get started with Acrylics. And, as part of the process, he does a demonstration piece - a harbor scene. He uses the technique that I have been talking about lately - a toned ground, a monocolor underpainting and then the color applied to finish the piece. It's nice to see what you've been taught as proper technique supported in other material.

Now if I could just get off my ass and get to work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice coincidence :D
I love all kinds of books and yes, I love Photography books and magazines, but rarely buy any, because I rarely ever read them, sigh.
I'm getting better at that though :)

Anonymous said...

I had to make a really difficult decision a few months ago... that I wouldn't buy any more books until I had at least started to read all those that I had bought and put on the bookshelf 'to get to later'...
... my husband calls it an addiction... I just like to think that I'm building a library!!

Julie said...

We have somewhere around 2000 books, after culling. And I have been hitting the used bookstore and the thrift stores, where I can get hardcovers for a buck and a half. I have a stack of books to be read, so I am trying to not buy any, especially as the Army will pay to move 18,000 pounds...did I mention my oak antiques and large Polish pottery collection, plus a big pile of fabric? So I gave up magazines...mostly. Except for Alaska, a quilting magazine, two crafting magazines, Midwest Living, ToyFare, and two or three video gaming magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian...Whoa. Last year we had three magazine subscriptions...

frog ponds rock... said...

there is an award for you at my place

cheers kim

Elizabeth said...

I think you may want to combine both yours and Annie's passions... paint her some luggage! ;)

Momisodes said...

I can relate to the lack of real estate for books. Hubby is a huge book collector, and it's a pain in the butt to move and store them all. But he loves them.

I love luggage too! But I never go anywhere :(