/**/
1/15/2014

Slightly Wordy Wednesday


She sleeps

She sleeps with her mouth open
but silent
I watch for the rise and fall
the pulse of breath
just to know
for sure
she's alive.

She is so old
infirm and unsteady
the rigors of age and experience
writ large on her frailness
but memory comes 
I see her with the eyes of a child
her child
I cannot see her old.

I go to my room
assured she is breathing
at least for now
no way to know how many more she has
I am afraid to count the pace
she sleeps with her mouth open
but silent
and it scares me.


Ndinombethe, ubuntu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

b

Tara R. said...

This reminds me of how I used to watch my kids sleep when they were very little. I still do sometimes. I can see myself watching for my mother's breathing if she were to come live with me some time soon.