/**/
1/28/2012

Comfort Food, Photo365, Day 28


In our house, 'comfort food' is a simple dish we call "Soft Boiled Eggs", but the rest of the world refers to as 3 minute Eggs.

First, set a pot of water on the stove to boil. Find a suitable bowl (to eat out of), get three pieces of white sandwich bread, break the bread into small pieces into the bowl (about 20 pieces per slice of bread), salt to taste, pepper to taste, and add two to three pats of butter on top.

Meanwhile, the water is coming to a rapid boil.

Set the timer on the microwave over the stove to 3 minutes.

Take three eggs out of the refrigerator and when the water is at a rapid, roiling boil, use a spoon to gently insert the 3 eggs into the water.

Hit start on the timer.

Go to your Keurig machine to make a cup of coffee while you wait for the longest 3 minutes EVER to transpire to exhaust themselves.

When the timer dings, take the pot over to the sink and pour the water into the side of the sink with the dirty dishes in it (kind of a pre-dishwasher wash) while running cold water from the tap into the pot. This stops the eggs from cooking inside and should cool the eggs so you can handle them.

Crack the eggs open, scoop out the insides over the bread, salt, pepper and butter, making sure to NOT get eggshell into the bowl. Soft Boiled Eggs are supposed to be SOFT, not crunchy.

Once all three eggs are in the bowl, mix thoroughly, and serve.

I usually will try to make these for Grannie at least once on the weekend.


Another view of lonely swings in winter:



Ndinombethe.

Post a link to YOUR photo in the Blog Hop below:

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never had those before. I bet they bring a great big smile to her face : )

Jientje said...

Sounds delicious!
I guess the eggs Benedict you and I had for breakfast when I was in the States take a little longer to prepare eh?

Unknown said...

As a child I ate soft boiled eggs in a shot glass. Now I just can't bring myself to eat them. way too slimy.

PattiKen said...

There it is again, a reminder of how few degrees of separation there are. I grew up knowing this delectable breakfast as "Daddy Eggs." :-)

maggie said...

Ah, comfort food, indeed! I call these soft boiled eggs or 3 minute eggs, equally. When it's all mixed together, the whole conglomeration gets another name in my family. I'd always done just one egg with 1 slice of bread, but 3 would definitely be better.

Mrs F with 4 said...

Mmmm....we have 'dippy eggs'. Put the eggs into a pan of cold water, bring to a rolling boil, and set the timer for two minutes, forty seconds! Fish them out with a spoon, into an egg cup, knock the top off, and dip 'Bovril toast soldiers' into the deliciously gooey result.

In fact, it's what I'm having tonight!

Big Mark 243 said...

...and I bet there is a lot of love and affection that goes into those eggs..! I am going to have to give this recipe a go... I don't think i have ever had soft-boiled eggs...

Sage Ravenwood said...

Sounds delicious! I'm going to have to give this a try. (Hugs)Indigo

corrin said...

One of the great comfort foods!