/**/
12/01/2011

This is so cool ...


I have Kindle, now. A hand-me-down from LM (Love Muffin). She's now in possession of a better one. Kindle Fire. Nice. Although she WAS upset when she figured out that the Fire doesn't have 3G. Just WiFi. It took a while to make her understand the idea that there's a cost to bandwidth and Amazon isn't going to sell you a Fire with the ability to browse the Internet. Ain't gonna happen. On the other hand, we DO have unlimited data plans on our phones, so she can just turn on the WiFi Hotspot whenever she wants to download a book and she's not on a friendly WiFi - or if she absolutely MUST browse the Internet.

Anyway.

I have discovered (and I have no idea why it doesn't seem to have been shouted to the high heavens by the media) that the "Borrow Books From Your Library" function now works on the Kindle. Yes. You can get books from your local library (most people can, anyway - I don't think EVERY library district is on board, yet) and have them in your Kindle for 14 days.

I did it last evening and it's simple. Easy, in fact. I went to my library's web site, found my way to the E-Books section, selected a book from the "Kindle" list online, told the program what library my card is from, entered my library card number, downloaded the book (it actually goes to and/or comes from Amazon), went to Amazon and clicked on "Get for Kindle" and, because I had my Kindle "On" and the WiFi turned on, it just sent the book to my Kindle. Easy Peasy. Really.

This is going to save me a fortune.

Now all I have to do is find the time to read.

Ndinombethe.

6 comments:

Emily/Randomability said...

I downloaded the Kindle app for my phone. I LOVE it!!

I downloaded the Kindle app for the kids iPod. We LOVE it!!

Over Thanksgiving break (we traveled), the 8 year old had to do 20 minutes of reading every day for Book It. I had some downloaded free books on it for him and he was able to get his reading in.

I'd love a Kindle for the bigger screen for reading, but I can't justify buying one when the iPhone works just as well.

Grandmother Mary said...

Hasn't quite spread to Italy libraries but it's a fabulous idea! When I got my iPad, I downloaded the kindle app and, poof, all my books were on the iPad, which I gave to my husband.

PattiKen said...

Mr B got a Kindle Fire, and he's really enjoying it. We haven't tried the library deal, but it's an excellent option.

Tara R. said...

I'm still undecided if I really want a Kindle. I can download a reader to my laptop, but is that as effective as having a dedicated tablet? I. DON'T. KNOW.

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

I LOVE my kindle.

LOVE IT.

Saw them at the checkout of my supermarket the other day. THAT blew my mind, considering I had to wait for 2 months for mine from Amazon at the start of the year.

You have discovered Project Gutenberg I assume?

melissa said...

i love my kindle. actually, i use it from my ipad now. i didn't know you could actually get books from the library on it!! i'm going to have to start doing that instead of purchasing!!