/**/
10/23/2011

A work in progress


This, basically, is what a Murray Spectra looks like:



I didn't think fast enough to take a photo BEFORE I did the work on the bike, so I had to find and steal an Internet photo of a typical Murray Spectra. Although the one pictured above is a "younger" edition than mine (mine is a 1971 - notice the decals when you look at the photo below), it does typify the type - road bike, 10 speed.

Below, is my Spectra after I've begun the process of "Dutching" the bike:



New handlebars. New Saddle. New brake levers. And brake cables - because the old cables don't have same ends on them as new cables - and the new brake levers need the new cable ends.



Now I sit upright on the bike. And it's very comfortable to ride.

To complete the "Dutching" of the bike, I will need to add fenders, a basket up front, and a carrier over the rear fender. A light up front would be nice, too.

I will also need to do some serious cleanup on the bike - rims and frame - plus the tires will need to be replaced. The ones on the bike right now are original - 40 years old. I don't think I can trust them.

So, it's started. It's going to work.

So far, I have $68.80 invested in the bike. I will probably spend another $100 on parts. And hours of labor.

A labor of love.

Ndinombethe.

2 comments:

PattiKen said...

You're really putting a lot into it. But what does "dutched" mean? Can I get dutched? I could use some new fenders, a new seat...

(P.S. My WV is "faves." Oh, yeah.)

Myst_72 said...

:)

G
xx