/**/
10/05/2010

A blast from the past - and a trend ....

This past weekend I only published one day of 'Sarah'. The story has come to a point where I have several lines of thought I can pursue and I have to choose ... I have to make a choice and to tell the truth, none of the choices I have in my head jump up and say "I AM THE ONE!!!" No one choice is clearly better than the others and I am not sure which way to go.

Apparently, this is normal for me.

I went back to three years and three days ago to the blog I was writing then - my first blog. NewAtArt. I looked at the post from Oct 2nd, 2007. I saw something I found a bit revealing. It follows - and hte phrase that struck me most is bolded:

"The weekend wasn't very productive - on the Art front, at least. And, of course, I never got as far as figuring out the process for putting samples of work online. Be that as it may, I have come to the slow realization that I suffer for guidance. I don't know what to do next - I don't know which way to turn to work on or develop skills - there is so much to do and so many methods and and ideas and things I would LIKE to do that I seem paralyzed by the choices, and nothing gets done. When I am working under guidance the choices are already made for me, all I have to do is follow along. When I am left to my own devices I get 'lost in the details'. What will I do??"

What will I do? I have to find SOME way to defeat this flaw in my character.

Ndinombethe.

9 comments:

Nicole said...

Can I join the Club?
That sort of fits my bill too....
And is it already 3 years that you started 'New at art'?
Dang!
Congrats on the anniversary though :)

moneythoughts said...

You could go with all your ideas and let the reader pick the one they want to go with. : )

Grandmother Mary said...

I'm not sure it's a character flaw. Do you have ADHD or ADD? Sounds like you might. Upside=lots of good ideas, creativity and abilities. Downside= well, you know that already. There are strategies for managing it though and there's more recognition of this causing unique challenges in adults.
But in this case, can Sarah herself tell you which direction she wants to go? I'm sure she has an opinion.

Kim - Mommycosm said...

You have been gifted with a creative mind. Don't be so hard on yourself. Have patience and the right direction will unfold ahead of you.

Easier said than done... but I'm working on that one, too.

quilly said...

Sifting and sorting is much easier to do when it isn't your own story.

I first felt a shift in your story when you changed the focus from Sarah to Mackey's love story. It can be there, but only if the romance is going to impact Sarah's choices.

The next shift came when the focus switched to the bully bothering Sarah's kid. Will he play a major future role in the end of the storyline? If not, he really has no purpose.

The next shift came when Sarah's mom's health was brought up. This shift was the least disconcerting to me because I can see this occurrence having a major impact on how Sarah proceeds with her revenge. Having a kid and a senile mother in tow will definitely complicate things.

And switching to the bad guy's perspective seems really off. This is Sarah's story. Stick with Sarah.

Nan Sheppard said...

I'm having a hard time with writing too. Writing anything specific, anyway.

Sigh!

Sage Ravenwood said...

Let me know when you figure it out. I think in my case it's more to do with self confidence than anything. I know the story is good, then I start worrying how good? (Hugs)Indigo

Expat No. 3699 said...

Lou, you know I love you. You also know that I stopped reading a lot of blogs on a regular basis over a year ago, thus I'm so far behind on Sarah that I don't read those posts because I can't catch up.

Could you have a sidebar with updates of your story as it evolves and just have this blog be about you and not 'her'?

Remember that 'you' make the guidelines here. If the ones you have set up aren't working maybe you should change them.

"If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."
- Mary Engelbreit

PattiKen said...

Well, I'm not sure which of us handles this particular family trait in the better way. Coming to a halt in the forest of too many choices? Or trying to do they all? You may be the one who got the ADHD and I the one who got the obsessive-compulsive disorder. ;-)