/**/
2/07/2008

Step by step, inch by inch ....

I'm sneaking up on it. I'm getting close. Actually, I think I may be done. I know - who better than me to know - but it has taken so long and it has been revised so many times ... I just have to give it a day - separate myself from it a bit - some space in time - as I have said in earlier posts, in order to properly assess your work you have to take a step back and see it from a distance. Well the same thing applies to time. One needs to turn away and come back at a later time in order to see the work with a 'fresh eye'.

I am aware of certain things - it is a first painting. If this were to be painted, by me, a year from right now, it would be done differently. I would have learned things in the meantime which would better inform my work. There are faults in the painting - it is the discovery of those faults that will better inform future work. The technique is terrible - again, learning where technique needs to be improved will better inform future work.

Which is why honest opinions by those who view the piece are so important.

7 comments:

Momisodes said...

I'm sure this painting has already given you much insight as to how you'll approach future projects.

Definitely give yourself a day. I'm sure you've been staring at it for so long that it's hard to make a judgment call right now.

We'll be here waiting patiently when you're ready to share :)

Julie said...

Hey...I added you to my blogroll. I don't know why it took me to get around to it, but there ya go.

I love watching the Current Painting in Sequence on your sidebar. It's fascinating to watch the changes.

But I did not need the Blick link. I have enough bloody art supplies to choke a herd of horses. And yet there is Blick, mocking me, begging me to just buy a couple sheets of paper. Maybe a new exacto knife -- a really good one with a comfortable handle. Some new colored pencils, even though I have a perfectly good set -- all the colors still in the box, no 2 inch stubs.

Anyway, I have no idea what I was talking about in the first place...

Unknown said...

Sandy: Thank you. You're not only kind but patient. Patently kind. And patiently kind. Cool.

Julie: Blicks deliver to Alaska -but at a higher rate - so you should stock up NOW. Especially with the LONG winters -stuck in the house, buried in snow, dodging the critters, etc.

Crimzen Creative said...

It is good to be so honest and critical of your work, and yes, it will make you a better painter in the future. I find that I grow only when I learn from my mistakes and then do something about it! Can't wait to see the final painting.

Anonymous said...

Art is good crack. You can hardly get arrested for it.

Marita said...

I'm enjoying watching the painting grow. Not knowing anything about art I wont comment on the technique but I love seeing something you've created come to life.

Julie said...

Or...my husband would point out that I have enough art supplies for several lifetimes. Which is why he is not in charge of art supplies at our house.