/**/
1/25/2008

No Friday Haiku Today

Apparently, the only way I can write Haiku is when I am struck by the notion - inspired, sort of. I don't seem to be able to do it 'On Demand'. I really wanted to write a Haiku for today - become a member of the thundering herd, so to speak. But I don't seem to be able to find anything that inspires me to write one. What's up with that?

Maybe there's research .....

Anyway - today the eagle shits. Payday. Not that payday is any different or better than any other day. It's just that today I am reminded that they actually like me well enough to give me money to do my job. Which I would do free. Because I love my job. Of course, if I wasn't doing this I'd be retarded retired and painting a lot and driving Annie crazy, which has some attraction in and of itself. All I need is the money ....

Zachary goes to see the Doctor today. Last night Annie and I went through the assessment questions which the doctor uses to assess Zach's progress (or lack thereof). Just from answering the questions, we get a gauge, ourselves, of the progress he's been making. I remember when we first were told of his diagnosis. We were told he might never be able to live on his own - that he would always need supervision because he wouldn't be able to function at a level that would allow him to make proper decisions for himself. Well, I'm happy to report that the original diagnosis was wildly wrong. The medications and other therapies that Zach has endured have, apparently, given him the opportunity to allow his intellect to begin to break through the barriers that Asberger's would otherwise have thrown up in his path. That is, after all, how one deals with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Intellectually. Things that you and I understand at an instinctual level, ASD people, if they've learned how to deal with them, at all, have learned to compensate intellectually, because their instincts are thwarted by the genetic problem that shorted them on specific proteins at a critical time in their development. The PERSON that Zachary is is coming through, slowly but surely. He is emerging from the foggy existence forecast for him so long ago. The fog will never completely clear. It will always be there, in the background- but he is learning to keep it at bay. Good job, Zach. Good job.

4 comments:

Momisodes said...

That was far better than a Haiku. Boy do I miss payday's. Something about knowing my bank account isn't on low is a nice feeling.

I hope everything goes well with Zachary at the Doctors today. Sounds like he has overcome many obstacles already in life. It's good to hear his personality is starting to peek through. He is so fortunate to have you and Annie in his life...

Marita said...

Great news about Zachary.

Anonymous said...

My Best wishes to you guys!
And lots of strength!
May the real Zach shine on soon and always !

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Lou. Something else we have in common. I hope all goes well at the doctors. How old is Zachary - have you got any older posts I can read?? Being a parent of 2 aspie boys I love reading about other people's journeys.....sad I know :)